Monday, October 8, 2007

First Snow

It seems a bit early for the first snow of the year, but not in Mongolia I guess. Friday night it began to snow, and didn't stop until Saturday morning. Winter is indeed here, hitting literally overnight. Last week was relatively sunny and warm, but now suddenly it is winter. It really is amazing how quickly the temperature drops here. Saturday morning I woke up to a snow storm that obscured my view of the mountain I can normally see out my windows, and it was bitterly cold. The snow made me a little homesick, thoughts of snowy winter mornings at home and Christmas were running through my head.
I had plans to go horseback riding with some new friends, which we decided to postpone about an hour in hopes the weather would clear up. It did stop snowing, though it was still really cold. So I bundled up in my long underwear and winter coat and went to meet up with everyone. Tuul, who is a translator for GTZ (a German company doing conservation work here) had invited me to go riding with them. I met her earlier in the week when Hongoroo took me to GTZ and Floam to meet other development workers in Tsetserleg.
We all piled into a questionable taxi, which did not yet have its winter tires. Supposedly drivers switch out their tires for the winter, although I doubt it does a whole lot of good as they are probably nearly bald. To get to the herder family whose horses we would ride, we had to drive over on of the mountains that surround Tsetserleg. Our first attempt was less than successful. We made it halfway up the hill and then the taxi couldn’t go any further and started to slide back down… But, as Mongolian drivers are ever resourceful and determined, we found a different road up the hill that worked out. We then drove down the mountain on the other side, through several half-way frozen creeks and over muddy hills and ditches. During the drive we discussed whether or not it would be possible to get BACK to Tsetserleg, and decided that we would see if we could ride the horses back. The family whose horses we would ride are well known to Tuul, Andrea and Conrad, who go riding there frequently.
When we arrived at the gers, the horses weren’t there. The family had figured no one would come because it was so cold, but they happily rounded them up from the mountains while we sat in the ger and drank milk tea and ate bread with orum. Orum is a sort of clotted cream that Mongolians love, and this was particularly good orum.
Finally the horses were ready and we mounted up. For the first hour or so of our ride it was really windy and cold, the sun was also very bright on the snow, which made it hard to open my eyes beyond a squint. We rode out across the valley, with no protection from the wind. Eventually we circled around and were at the base of the mountains, and the wind stopped. The scenery was gorgeous. The valley is scattered with gers and herds of baby yak and sheep and goats. The mountains were all snow covered, and the trees that haven't yet lost their leaves are still a vibrant yellow. Riding across the snow-covered Steppe was pretty incredible.
At one point we rode past some sheer rock faces that have a river running right next to them. Rivers in Mongolia are usually rather shallow but with very fast currents, and this one was shallow. It isn't frozen yet, so we splashed across it and then rode up the next valley toward Tsetserleg. We came over the mountain and looked down on the city. The horses were a little less than enthusiastic about the whole trip to the city, as they are clearly country horses. As we walked through the ger distract trying to avoid the possibly rabid barking dogs that assaulted us from every open hashaa gate, the horses took slower and slower steps. Eventually we arrived at my apartment building. It was pretty awesome to ride a horse directly up to the door of my building. I'm not sure where else in the world that is perfectly acceptable. It's actually pretty common for me to see horses tied up outside an apartment building on the weekends, people ride in from the countryside to visit friends or family, and just tie their horse up outside. Or they tie them to a tree outside the bank or next to the market. I'm kind of surprised I don't see more hitching posts, but I guess you don't really need one of those when you can use a tree or a rock or whatever else is handy.
After I got home I tried to thaw out, an endeavor that took several hours. My fingers and toes were frozen and my face hurt from the cold wind. That was actually the first and only day that I wore the gloves I brought with me, as Sophie shredded one of them while I slept the next morning... Oh the joys of having a puppy. :)
On Sunday I met up with Uunee to play ping pong. There is a place downstairs from our office that has one ping pong table and two pool tables, so we went there. Unfortunately the ping pong table was already in use, and they were going to be a long time. So we decided to play a game of pool. Both of us are abysmal players, and after about 45 minutes with several balls left on the table we gave up and went next door to have a beer. It's funny how pool halls are the same the world over. This one was full of teenage boys drinking beer and smoking cigarettes. The legal age in Mongolia for both is 16, though I have never seen anyone carded to buy either.
Tomorrow I will venture out on my first trip to the countryside with my coworkers. We will visit several of our clients and monitor the implementation of their business plans. It sounds like we will be doing a lot of driving, we will go to 4 soums in Arkhangai and also to Kharkhorin to meet some people from another Mercy Corps office and deliver some papers or something to them. It should be fun though! Uunee said we will have a chance to ride some horses and visit a monastery. I think we are going to the soum with the hot springs as well.... And I'm sure that there will be lots of Mongolian food and aireg consumed, as that seems to be a trend in other PCVs' ventures to the countryside with coworkers.

Note: Blogspot rarely works for uploading pictures, so I've put up a link for pictures

No comments: