Thursday, August 9, 2007

The Big Day

Today was a big day in the life of the M18's. We moved out of our host families and came to Darkhan. For some of us it was a tearful farewell to the host families, for others it was a happy escape. I was much more of the later category... Other than my Dad no one in my family even woke up to see me off. I got a handshake and "bayertay" from my Dad. I will (most likely) see him again on Sunday though, we are having a Host Family Appreciation Day in Darkhan and all of our families are going to come. My Dad told me that he and my Mom are coming, but then this morning he told me that my Mom had to go to the hospital last night because she was throwing up (probably because of the weird diet pills she has been taking recently)... So who knows if they will come or not. But Cady's family will be here, and they are my adoptive host family. Last night I went over to Cady's house because I was really bored and my family was ignoring me (it's kind of a mutual thing, I can't really blame it all on them) and she and her Mom and brother and sister were having a little party. We kept making jokes that they are my family and that they have two American daughters. I love her family. If I go back to Sukhbaatar, it will be to visit them, and I probably will go with Cady for Naadam or Tsagansaar (the Lunar New Year).
As for the big news.... today the Peace Corps finally enlightened us as to where we will be spending the next two years! I will be working for RASP (Rural Agribusiness Support Program) which is run by Mercy Corps, funded by USDA, in Tsetserleg. Tsetserleg is the Aimeg Center of Arkhangai Aimeg which is in the Central Region. Tsetserleg is about a 10 hour drive from UB (give or take several hours depending on the road conditions, weather, breakdowns etc). From what the PC staff has told me it is really beautiful, with a river running through town and mountains on either side. I'm really excited to go there. I wanted to be sort of close to UB, because for pretty much any traveling you have to go through UB. Even in-country travel it's mostly all from UB. I am a little scared though, because I will be the only PCV in the Aimeg Center. There are about 4 other PCVs in the Aimeg out in Soums, two of which are M18s. So whenever they come into the Aimeg Center to restock on food they will come visit me. But I don't really have a site mate. That's good because it will force me to make friends with Mongolians, but it's a little scary at the same time. I'm used to having other Americans around me who I can talk to every day! I'm sure that it will mean my Mongolian will get really good, because I will have to communicate with my new Mongolian friends, so that is another definite plus.

2 comments:

Courtney said...

Sounds like quite the adventure. I miss your face! I just quit enterprise to work at pancake city...hahaha! Nice huh? I can't believe i am going to be working at Shitty's! Anyway, breaking up with Josh today or whenever he calls me back. Have a date with a really hot guy tonight...I don't waste any time. Miss you miss you miss you and wanted to catch you up real quick. If you get the chance just email me with all of the random things....like all of the hot guys you have met and such like. Can't waut to hear from you!

samraat said...

sangambayard-c-m.com